Sunday, September 26, 2010
RIP Lily
This has not been a good weekend for us, by that, I mean the collective, neighbourhood us. First the tree falling, then, last night, I went to check on the kids and Lily the hamster like I always do, and I noticed that she wasn't active at all, not even coming to poke her nose out of her nest material to see who was there. I lifted her out of her nest, and the first thing I noticed was how cold she felt. Oddly enough, she was limp rather than stiff. Kevin did a bit of research into hamster hibernation, and she was exactly as they described, so that's what we thought was going on(with all the excitement on Friday night, the kids had opened their window to watch, and it had gotten really cool in their room). I held her and as she warmed up, she started moving a bit more. Kevin had read that hamsters who were being woken up from hibernation needed to be kept hydrated, so he gave her some water from a syringe, and shortly after that she had what I would describe as some spasms(which the hamster website Kevin had found said might happen), looked like she was stretching/yawning, so I thought she was coming around, but then the paper towel I had wrapped around her felt wet. When I checked her, she was getting cold again, and going stiff instead of staying limp. Lily passed in my hands at about 12:20 am est on September 26th, 2010. We don't know what happened to her, but what we do know is that she was loved, and that she died in familiar surroundings and she wasn't alone in her nest.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment