Sunday, September 30, 2012

We have more pets again

For a while, we were a single mammalian pet family. Now we have some new additions to our pet family to talk about: 2 female guinea pigs. They are definitely not related to each other directly, as one is an Abyssinian and the other is an American short-hair, but they definitely get along well together. Aidan decided he wanted to name the fuzzy one, wait for it, Fuzzy! Caleigh took a bit more time naming the other one, and at first didn't want her name selection revealed, but when I told her she had to let us say it since we're supposed to talk to the piggies to get them to be familiar with our voices and start trusting us, she let us know it was Splotch(for the splotches of colour all over her).

In a little over a week, they are "popcorning" for us, chirping and going nuts when they think we're coming to give them food or a fresh paper bag to play with. Fuzzy will come and touch my fingers with her nose when I put something in to the cage, while Splotch is a bit more reserved when it comes to that sort of display. I hesitate to say it, but I think that guinea pigs have more personality than rabbits(at least any that I have ever owned). Don't get me wrong, I loved the rabbits I had, and they were affectionate, but they just don't compare.

No comments: